How can your business invest in its future workforce?
Research has found that just four interactions with a business can reduce the possibility of a young person becoming NEET (not in employment, education or training).
Tameside Council’s Employment and Skills Team has developed the Tameside Menu of Choice to link businesses with schools and colleges in the borough. When you sign up to the Menu of Choice your business is added to a pool of local businesses who can commit some time to supporting local careers activities and events for young people.
What commitment is required?
When we receive requests from schools or colleges for business support to their Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) activities, we will match the request with businesses on the Menu of Choice database and then get in touch. There’s no commitment required from businesses, you can support as many or as few school requests as you want, depending on what you can accommodate at the time of the request.
You can tailor your sign up to fit your business capacity and your interest in activities you feel best placed to support. Opportunities might include:
- Hosting a school visit at your business for a small group of students
- Offering a work placement(s) opportunity (for a day, a couple of days or a week)
- Supporting a school to do short mock interviews with students
- A talk with a member of your team to give a young person / small group an insight into your job, what it is like, your experiences, the best way of getting a career in that particular role etc.
- Representing your business sector at Tameside’s annual Careers and Apprenticeships Exhibition
- Class or assembly talks on careers in your business sector, the skills needed and future job opportunities
- Formal partnership opportunities with a school or college
- Taster sessions
- Job shadowing opportunities
- Becoming involved as a School Governor
We need businesses from all sectors to be part of the Tameside Menu of Choice! For more information download the Menu of Choice leaflet or to sign up visit www.liveworkinvest.com/tameside-menu-of-choice/